We’re heading into the holidays—Hanukkah first this year and then Christmas and Kwanzaa. This season can be a time of great joy and also great loneliness, especially amplified in 2020. Like everything in life, the upsides and the downsides. Can we extend our arms to embrace it all, without feeling overwhelmed or numbing out?
That’s where a practice can help us stay balanced. Click >> the image for a simple practice to ride the waves of emotion and thought that I hope will help you navigate the ups and downs of the holidays.
On Facebook, I see the amazing faces of the babies born and growing up in a Pandemic. I imagine the stresses and strains on their parents, and the grief of grandparents who cannot hold their grandchildren (I am one). I wonder how the earth will sustain them as they grow and how they will sustain the earth.
I wonder too, about the dimming light as beloved luminaries in the field of yoga and mental health leave us behind. Yet, I feel the radiance and love of Psychotherapy Networker founder Rich Simon even as I write this sentence.
I feel the brilliance and love of Rama Jyoti Vernon, as her words continue to send ripples through my life and possibly yours. Yesterday, in a Zoom conversation with my Australian friend and colleague psychologist Janet Lowndes, she quoted a line from Rama’s keynote years ago at an International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) Symposium (SYTAR):
“Who is getting your best self?” Rama asked.
Let’s pause with this question. Perhaps it will lead to a moment of tenderness shared with someone you love, even if it’s on a video call. Or maybe to an extra dose of self-care, of remembering your worth. For this, I leave you with Nayyirah Waheed‘s poem that my dear friend and colleague Australian yoga leader Leigh Blashki, C-IAYT-yoga therapist, iRest supervisor and mentor, shared with me.
My warmest namasté,
Remember, in the meantime, LifeForce Yoga can help. Check out my YouTube channel and website for workshops, free downloads, books, CDs, DVDs. please visit me on Facebook to share ideas and support each other. Keep reaching out – we’re doing this!
Here are some books that are on my list, for yourself, or a friend, or both.
- Why Bother by Jen Louden
- Soma by Indu Arora
- The Namaste Effect by Nischala Joy Devi
- Awakening Your Inner Radiance with LifeForce Yoga by Rose Kress
- Yoga, The Practice of Myth and Sacred Geometry by Rama Jyoti Vernon
- The Power of Attachment by Diane Poole Heller
- Trauma and the 12 Steps by Jamie Marich
- Internal Family Systems Skills Training Manual: Trauma-Informed Treatment for Anxiety, Depression, PTSD & Substance Abuse by Frank Anderson, Martha Sweezy and Richard Schwartz
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
- The Giver of Stars by Jo Jo Moyes
- Normal People by Sally Rooney
- The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
- All Souls Rising by Madison Smartt Bell
- Temple Dancer by Amy Weintraub (⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 67 ratings)
- Have a friend who’d like to sample the novel? Send them this link to join my mailing list and they’ll instantly receive Chapter 1 FREE.
- Temple Dancer is available FREE for a limited time on Kindle Unlimited -download it today.
Wonderful connections are happening in my world, and I’d love it if you’d join me!
Dec 14 The FLOW ARTISTS Podcast
Amy talks yoga and more with the dynamic Down Under team Jo Stewart & Rane Bowen
Dec 17, 3-4PM PST Unveiling Temple Dancer, a Facebook LIVE with Amy Wheeler
Direct link on the day: Facebook
Dec 17-31 15 Ways to Open Your Creativity Portal: A daily practice
Direct link every day: Facebook
Who’s in? As a writer, I thrive on connection to the source of creativity and love. I’ll be posting 15 ways to open the portal to creative flow. Whether you’re a poet, an artist, a dancer, a chef, a gardener or you just want to infuse your daily life with more creativity, follow along with me for the next 15 days.
Free! Content here starting 12/17.
~ 2 0 2 1 ~
Jan 11 – 31, 2021 TRANQUILITY SUMMIT ONLINE: Tools for Peace of Mind
Jan 12, 10:30AM – 12:15PM PST MINDED INSTITUTE ONLINE: Yoga Therapy Observation with Amy Weintraub
Jan 15 – 17, 2021 INNER PEACE ONLINE: LifeForce Yoga for Depression and Anxiety Immersion
Feb 6-7, 2021 YOGAVILLE ONLINE: LifeForce Yoga to Manage Your Mood Immersion